Skip to main content

Amazing, unbelievable health benefits of Indian gooseberry a.k.a Amla part I

fresh amla

Hey, there here I am with an amazing post article related to our super food Indian gooseberry also known as amla in the Indian subcontinent.

Hmm, let me tell you my exposure and interaction with amla. The first memory I have of eating amla and actually buying amla is from Khari bawli, Chandni Chowk, Delhi my native place.

 I used to sit on the back seat of my father's scooter and we went to the market to buy amla candy popularly known as Amla ka murabba every year in winter seasons. Being a small child I am furious to eat the candy because of its sweet taste without knowing the good effect on my body.


The other form which I remember is chamanprash or chyawanprash or something similar. That’s the first thing me and my sister used to eat before going to school and last thing before sleeping down on the bed.


Back then also many forms are available in the market like amla powder, chutney and you can name it but these two were my favorite and still I eat amla candy

I also remember trying it in a fresh form which is really, really sour and give me the real tingling in the teeth and make my closed same like lemons.

What makes me curious and furious about Amla is recently I saw fresh amla in a super market in Dubai which refresh my childhood memory about it. Therefore, I just start collecting information about it from an Ayurvedic point of view. How it can be used in daily day to day life and take the maximum benefit out of it.


As you will go along with me in the article we will get to know about the  amazing, super fabulous benefits of amla, why Ayurveda consider it as a super food, how to eat it without feeling the tingling in the teeth (actually I like that sensation), how we can add amla in our daily food, common use of amla in different disease a plus  a recipe also to make alma powder according to your body type.


Let’s finishes some technical details about amla.

English name: Indian goose berry
Hindi name: Amla
PRIMARY TASTE: Sour (not acidic), Astringent (but sweet),
TASTE AFTER DIGESTION: Sweet (Madura), and has cooling power.

Nutrients:
Vitamins
Minerals
Dietary fiber: 17%
Vitamin C-46%
Magnesium- 7%
Carbohydrates: 3%
Vitamin A-6%
Potassium-6%
Proteins: 2%
Vitamin B6-4%
Copper-4%
Calories: 2%
Thiamin-3%
Phosphorus-3%
to be continued....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashtang Hirdya 1:1

  Chapter 1 Sutra 1 रागादि-रोगान् सततानुषक्तान् अ-शेष-काय-प्रसृतान् अ-शेषान्। औत्सुक्य-मोहा-रति-दाञ् जघान यो ऽ-पूर्व-वैद्याय नमो ऽस्तु तस्मै ॥1॥ हर समय तथा सम्पूर्ण शरीर में फैले हुये और उत्सुकता विष्यो के प्रति उत्कण्ठा मोह तथा अरति को देने वाले और इस प्रकार के मन तथा शरीर को संत्तप्त करने वाले जो राग द्वेष लोभ मोह आदि मानसिक रोग तथा वात पित्त कफ आदि शरीरीक रोग तथा उत्पत्ति मरण जनित जो रोग हैं उन सबको सामूल नष्ट करने वाले अपूर्व वैद्य को मैं वाग्भट नमस्कार करता हूँ। Salutation to The Unique and Rare Physician, who has destroyed, without any residue all the diseases like Raga (lust, anger, greed, arrogance, jealousy, selfishness, ego), which are constantly associated with the body, which is spread all over the body, giving rise to disease like anxiety,delusion and restlessness. This salutation is done to Lord Dhanwantari. 

How digestive fire and doshas are related?

  Chapter 1 Sutra 8 तैर् tair भवेद् bhaved विषमस् vismaः तीक्ष्णो tīkṣṇo मन्दश् mandaś चाग्निः cāgniः समैः samaiः समः samaः ॥ ८ ॥ English विभिन्न प्रकार के दोषों के प्रभाव के आधार पर पाचन आग को निम्न प्रकार से वर्गीकृत किया जाता है: विषम अग्नि (वात द्वारा प्रभाव): पाचन अनुचित, अप्रत्याशित होगा। विषम अग्नि के कारण होने वाले रोग भी प्रकृति में वातजन्य होंगे और उनका उपाय वात नाशक विधियों द्वारा भी किया जाएगा। यदि चूल्हे में आग हवा से महसूस की जाती है, तो कभी चूल्हे में आग जलती है और कभी-कभी यह हिलती है, कभी यह पक जाती है और कभी-कभी नहीं पकती है। उसी तरह, व्यक्ति को कभी-कभी उच्च भूख लगती है और कभी-कभी बहुत कम भूख लगती है। तीक्ष्ण अग्नि (पित्त से प्रभावित): पाचन क्रिया मजबूत और शक्तिशाली होगी। भोजन की एक बड़ी मात्रा बहुत जल्दी पच जाएगी और शरीर में जलन, प्यास आदि हो जाएगी। यदि आग के गड्ढे में आग बहुत अधिक है, तो यह पानी के छिड़काव से कम हो जाता है, इसी तरह से विरेचन उपचारों का उपयोग तीक्ष्ण अग्नि को कम करने के लिए किया जाता है। मंदा अ